For more information, see our Action of the Month
Two studies, currently underway at the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine, are soliciting public input as part of their process, and they need to hear from you. You can join in in person/watch live THIS THURSDAY 14th September, 1:30-5:15pm Pacific Time.
From the NASEM Board on Higher Education and Workforce:
Thursday, September 14, 2017
1:30 pm – 5:15 pm PDT
University of California, San Francisco
Genentech Hall Auditorium*
600 16th Street
San Francisco, CA
*Please note that meeting space is limited. A webcast will also be available.
This public session of the fourth meeting for the Next Generation Researchers Initiative will feature distinguished scientists, physicians, industry leaders, and scholars who will discuss the barriers and opportunities facing the next generation of independent researchers in the biomedical and behavioral sciences. Particular emphasis will be on hearing postdoctoral perspectives and envisioning the future of research.
This meeting will feature and be moderated by:
- Chair Alan Leshner, PhD, Chief Executive Officer Emeritus, American Association for the Advancement of Science;
- Chair Ron Daniels, President, the Johns Hopkins University
1:30 p.m. – 1:35 p.m. Opening Remarks by Host Keith Yamamoto
1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Panel I: Bold Visions for the Future of Science
Panelists will share their vision on how changes to today’s system of graduate education and early research careers can ensure a future research enterprise that fosters innovation, promotes equity and inclusion, and advances U.S. national interests.
Chair Alan Leshner, PhD, Chief Executive Officer Emeritus, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- David Asai, PhD, Senior Director for Science Education, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Elizabeth Baca, MD, MPA, Senior Health Advisor, California Governor’s Office of Planning and Research
- Michael Richey, PhD, Associate Technical Fellow, Learning Sciences and Engineering Education Research, The Boeing Company
- Eric Schulze, PhD, Senior Scientist, Memphis Meats
3:00 p.m. – 3:15 p.m. Coffee Break in the Atrium
3:15 p.m. – 4:45 p.m. Panel II: Perspectives from Postdoctoral Researchers
Panelists will share their research on postdoctoral experiences with a focus on the implications on graduate education and early career researchers.
Chair Ron Daniels, President, The Johns Hopkins University
- Marina Ramon, PhD, Board of Directors, National Postdoctoral Association
- Sean McConnell, PhD, Postdoctoral Scholar, University of Chicago
- Samantha Hindle, PhD, Assistant Professional Researcher, University of California San Francisco
- Representation from National Academies’ Committee on The Postdoctoral Experience Revisited
4:45 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. Open discussion with guests
The Committee welcomes additional input from audience members and guests
5:15 p.m. Adjourn Open Session
Maps for Genentech Hall: